The 2021 America’s Cup is the upcoming edition of the America’s Cup yacht race which will take place in 2021. Entries for challengers open on 1 January 2018 and close on 30 June 2018 with late entries accepted until 31 December 2018.
The intended venue is Auckland, New Zealand with the Match to be raced in March 2021, preceded by The Prada Cup in January and February 2021.
The America’s Cup World Series will be held in 2019 and 2020 with a Christmas regatta in December 2020.
The Challenger series will be held in January and February 2021 with the America’s Cup match in March.
2021 AMERICA’S CUP KEY DATES
- November 30, 2017: AC75 class concepts released to key stakeholders
- January 1, 2018: Entries for challengers open
- March 31, 2018: AC75 class rule published
- June 30, 2018: Entries for Challengers Close
- August 31, 2018: Location of the America’s Cup match and the challenger series confirmed; specific race course area confirmed
- December 31, 2018: Late entries Deadline
- March 31, 2019: Boat one can be launched
- Second half of 2019: two America’s Cup World Series preliminary events
- February 1, 2020: Boat two can be launched
- 2020: three America’s Cup World Series preliminary events
- 10th-20th December 2020: America’s Cup Christmas regatta
- January and February 2021: Challenger series
- March 2021: America’s Cup10/3/17, 11:54 PM
Circolo della Vela Sicilia is the “Challenger of Record” for the 36th America’s Cup. Their team, Luna Rossa Challenge, had previously lost to Emirates Team New Zealand in the 2000 America’s Cup and the 2007 and 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup finals.
Ben Ainslie Racing and the New York Yacht Club have confirmed they will enter.
The Cup could be sailed in New Zealand’s Hauraki Gulf, on the East Coast of the North Island and based in Auckland City’s Waitemata Harbour as the venue. Italy has been announced as the backup venue.
The Cup will be sailed in 75 foot foiling monohulls. The boats are expected to have requirements around the boats being “constructed in country” and the teams are allowed to build two boats each.